Protective gear & MotoCAP ratings
Motorcycle Clothing Assessment Program (MotoCAP)
The Road Safety Commission has contributed to the development and testing regime for a world first rating system for motorcycle protective gear and clothing, MotoCAP.
Choose a jacket, pants and gloves with a high MotoCAP safety rating to increase your protection on the roads.Jackets:
- Choose a jacket with built-in shoulder, elbow and back protection that is abrasion and tear-resistant.
- Jackets should fit comfortably when sitting on your motorcycle and completely cover your arms.
- Jackets are available in either leather or non-leather materials.
- Use the visor on your helmet to protect your eyes from debris when riding.
- If you have chosen to use an open-faced helmet, ensure you wear quality glasses or goggles that are compliant with Australian and New Zealand Standard (AS/NZS) 1698 or United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No 22 (UNECE22.05) as amended.
- Keep your helmet visor or glasses/goggles clean and free of scratches.
- Use clear lenses for night time riding.
- Choose a pair of gloves that fit securely around the wrist but are comfortable.
- Gloves should be reinforced, padded and offer protection for fingers and knuckles.
- Make sure your gloves allow you to improve your grip on the handle bars.
- Your boots should offer protection to your feet, ankle and lower legs.
- Use boots that are light but also secure and reinforced for the best protection.
- Ensure the boots can fasten around the leg to prevent the boot from slipping off.
- Riding pants should completely cover your legs.
- Choose pants that have built-in reinforcement that is abrasion and tear resistant to protect your hips and knees.
- Pants should be comfortable when you are in the riding position.
- Improve your safety by ensuring you can be seen by other road users.
- Riders should use the low-beam front headlight while riding during the day.
- Choose a light coloured helmet that can be easily seen.
- Wear hi-vis, fluorescent and/or reflective protective clothing.